I'm working on my black and white socks while attending the Web 2.0 workshop. I love it when professors let me knit during lectures. It helps me get so much done :)
I'm almost ready to start on the heel. I think I am going to do a Sherman Heel on this pair. The Naga socks used this type of heel and it was a lot of fun to do. The heels will be white like the toes.
My problem with these socks is, because I am putting an intarsia design on the leg, I need to work the design flat instead of in the round. This is a problem because I would be forced to have a seam down the back of the leg. Now, remember that I hate weaving in ends? Well, I hate seaming stuff together even more. But I really wanted to do this design (yes, I do know that intarsia will result in me weaving in lots of ends). Wasn't satisfied with it but willing to overlook the sewing because the finished product will be awesome.
I went to The Knitters Mercantile yesterday between the end of the workshop and meeting up with E. I started talking with another knitter about my conundrum about the leg of these socks. We talked about picking up stitches on both sides then doing a three needle bind-off, sewing the sides together, etc etc. Then she hit on the perfect solution. Her suggestion was to just make eyelets, weave a ribbon up the back, and that is how the sock will be held together! Genius. I don't know why I didn't think of that before.
I'm not going to show you the design fully until it is finished. You will have to guess what it is from partial pictures in the next couple of days. A little challenge for you :)