Monday, March 05, 2007

Sheldon completed

Sheldon, hats and booties
Sheldon, hats and booties,
originally uploaded by bookworm knitting.
He was finished during the baby shower (oops) but all of the people there were fascinated with my knitting so they didn't really notice my procrastination! There was a definite green and yellow theme to the baby shower because the mom- and dad-to-be don't want to know the sex of the baby. Sheldon will fit in well with the other turtle gifts like a little onesy with turtles and a blanket with turtles on it.

The weekend was definitely a whirl of activity: Ohio to Maryland to Pennsylvania. I worked on Friday, jumped in the car and drove to the airport. I got all checked in (with an hour to spare before take-off) and went to the gate. The plane took off a little behind schedule. I had planned to carry-on all of my stuff since it was only a weekend trip. The plane, however, was completely full so I had to check my backpack at the gate.

I met up with Donnie easily then we picked up his friend, Laura, who is very nice. We hung around his appartment for a little while trying to figure out where to eat. Emily came from Frederick and we all went to dinner. We walked from Donnie's place to a restaurant then to Howl at the Moon, a piano bar. That was sooooo much fun. The piano players were talented, lewd and hilarious. They were really, really talented and knew so many different songs. Those guys must make hundreds in tips each night.

We ended up staying in the bar till last call. I have to say, I was really glad there was a group of us and we had a tall guy with us. All of the bars were pouring out people at the same time. We walked Laura home and were finally in bed around 3 am.

Morning person that I am, I was completely awake by 8. (Definitely regretted only 5 hours of sleep later that day.) Emily went home and Donnie and I wandered the Inner Harbor area. I got a greasy fry-up of fries, fish and crab cakes for lunch (yummy). It was such a beautiful day with the sun shining, blue sky and warm temperature. I was wandering around with a light jacket on!

Later that afternoon, Donnie dropped me off at the train station and I made my way to Philadelphia. The train was delayed an hour and a half because the train was having signal problems and the driver couldn't go the normal speed and needed to be talked through the switches so we wouldn't crash into another train. Poor Amy had to wait for me at the train station while all of this was going on.

Originally, the plan was to meet up with Amy, drop my bags off at my cousins' house because I was staying there and then go out to dinner with Amy. With the delayed train, plans changed. My cousins (and aunt and mother) were going out to dinner so we couldn't drop my stuff off at their place. So I had Mom leave an extra key at the hotel where she and Aunt Judy were staying. Then Amy and I went to eat at a Thai place.

I had a lot of fun catching up with her. Email helps you keep in contact but in-person interaction is so much better. The food was great. We went to a pastry place after dinner. Best chocolate cake EVER! I was sooo full.

Amy took me back to the hotel where we said goodbye. My cousin-in-law dropped off my mom and aunt at about the same time so he drove me to his house. All in all things went pretty smoothly.

The baby shower was fun. The decorations turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. The cousin my age and the mama-to-be's friends did a great job. All of us who were around got drafted into helping (not that that was a burden!) and it made the morning fly!

Later that evening, I took a taxi to the train station, took the train to the airport, and got checked in approximately an hour before the plane was supposed to depart. That seems to be a trend. The plane, however, was delayed 30 minutes. I ended up getting home around 11.30 and was very ready for bed! Whew, I need a vacation from my weekend!

No comments: