Thursday, January 24, 2008

Crafting extravaganza (apparently)

It's decided to be winter again for a while.

Somehow, snow makes the cold so much more bearable. A couple of weeks ago, it was in the single digits but there was no snow on the ground. The sun was deceptively shining and you thought that it would be nice out. Not so by any stretch of the imagination. At least with snow around, you know it is cold!

A couple of days ago, I talked about plying up some yarn for a Clapotis. I'm happy to say that I've gotten a little over half of the roving spun and plied for it. I'm in love with the colors.


In other news, on Ravelry there is a group (Ankh-Morpork Knitter's Guild) devoted to all things Terry Pratchett (a most wonderful writer). He was recently diagnosed with the early stages of Alzheimer's. In response, our group decided to knit him an afghan which quickly became known as a Pratchgan. It is going to be 100 squares made by 97 different knitters. Everyone has been sharing their ideas and pictures (click here to see the Flickr group) and the creativity of everyone is amazing. I'm going to be making a green square with sheep all over it and the word "Ships" stitched onto it. (Sidenote: "Ships" is the word the wee free men (little men covered in blue tattoos who have wild red hair, a love of drink and of fighting) use for sheep. Say it with a bad Scottish accent and it will make sense.) I've completed one sheep and, other than his head looking a little wonky, I think it is going well.

Along with sending the square and some money (for shipping) to the person putting it together, I'm also going to be sending a thank you card to Terry Pratchett. So I decided to take the group's coat of arms and put it on a blank card. I backed it with some scrapbooking paper to make it look pretty :) Because I couldn't decide which blue I wanted to use, I took out 3 different kinds. After choosing which one I wanted, that meant I had 2 additional pieces. Then I saw a post on the CRAFT magazine blog about popups made by the Princess of Popups.

I was done for . . .


(Sorry for the crappy picture.) I'm completely entranced by the antennae and the little wings. I really wish I had the paper with me to make a fortune cookie one.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've got to go and join that group! I love his books! And the spinning is gorgeous. It will make a great Clapotis!

Ruby said...

The yarn is beautiful! That will make a great Clapotis. :)

Anne said...

Thanks, guys :)

And Lisa, definitely join the group! There are some pretty funny discussions.

Unknown said...

you are so crafty anne... it is amazing! nice job on the spinning...

why must it be sooo cold, I want to ride! When do you work at DU next? And did I miss you this weekend??:(