Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Bad Karma

OK, I don't know what I did to deserve this karma! This has been the worst short week ever! (Sorry for those of you to whom I've already complained about this but you are hearing it again!)

Yesterday, I was scheduled to work from 9 to 5.30. OK, that is pretty normal. I'm house-sitting this week for the owners of the barn and they live much closer to the barn. So that meant that I can be healthy (and save a little bit of gas) by walking out to the barn. I got up at 6.30 am and dragged myself out the door at 7.

Turns out the barn is a little further than I thought. It takes 30 minutes to walk there. OK, everything is still fine. Plenty of time to walk back to the house, take a quick shower and make it out of the house by 8.30 so I can be at work at 9. Oh, wait. I forgot the check I was going to leave out there for the farrier who is coming at 10. Oh, there is no time to go back for it. I'll have to drive out with it after my shower (so much for saving gas!). I make it back to the house with 10 minutes to spare, take care of the check and leave town at 8.40, still plenty of time to get to work.

Once I am at work, my boss calls in to say that she is going to be a little late. This is strange since she is scheduled to be in at 10 till closing and it is only 9 now. I point this out to her. She's forgotten that she is scheduled to close. She couldn't find anyone else at any of the branches to help out so guess who stayed from 9 till 7? That's right.

On the way home after 7, I stop by the gas station because my car was running on fumes. After filling up, I get in the car and turn the key in the ignition. Nothing happens. No turn over, nothing. The starter is completely dead. I am now in dress clothes crawling under the car jiggling various wires and trying to figure out which piece of machinery is the starter so I can hit it with a hammer. Dad comes out and, at 8, we finally find the right piece of machinery to hit and the car starts.

I have to stop by home to pick up some things to take to where I am staying. By this point, it is around 8.45 and I still haven't eaten. The guy that Dad is helping go over interview questions came over so I talked to him for a while. Now 9 pm. I go to leave and guess what won't start again? . . . (Wow, you are good!)

So, I grab Mom's car keys from her, do an exchange of stuff (by this point it is 9.30 and I still haven't eaten), and am ready to leave. As I was backing out of her garage space, I was trying to get her garage door to shut and . . . crunch! I backed into MY car with HER car. Could this day get any better?!

I wasn't going at any rate of speed but it scraped up her bumper and pushed the piece of plastic in front of my front tire in a little. We were able to push it back out.

I run out at 9.45 to feed the horses (they were very happy) and finally got to the Gage's house at 10ish. By that point, I was too tired to eat and had a roaring migraine. Watched Mythbusters for a while and went to bed.


Today was much better until I got the call about everything that was going wrong with the car. $1000+ worth of things wrong. New starter, new tires, something for oxygen (?), realignment, brake pads. You name it, it probably was replaced on my car.

THEN, I ripped my thumbnail off. Well, mostly off. Down to the quick at least. I shouldn't try to pick up more books that I know I can carry. It never ends well! The rest of the day went pretty well, all things considering.

Here's to hoping the rest of the week goes better and to consuming lots of wine tonight!

No comments: