Tuesday, October 09, 2007

More crack

Hi, my name is Anne and I am addicted to roving. And it happened in a very short period of time! But first, here are some pictures!

I've finished the main part of the back of the Brennan Cardigan. It went surprisingly quickly for such a long piece of knitting.


Now I have to pick up the stitches that were put on a holder on each side and do the fun pattern. It will hopefully go pretty quickly because, as we all know, cabling is crack.


I finished and blocked the shoulder shawl that I was working on from Victorian Lace Today. It turned out really well and blocked to a much bigger measurement than I expected. I still haven't decided if it is going to be a gift or not. We'll see when Christmas rolls around how desperate I get for gifts.


Progress has been made on the Double Bordered Diamond scarf also from Victorian Lace Today. I only work on this one occasionally, though, so the progress is not quick. So far I've done 7 of the 20 repeats. Reading the comments on Ravelry was really funny because one person said "forget 20, 16 was plenty for me!" Sorry for the really bad lighting!


And one of the most important pictures of this post (well, at least to me!) *drumroll* is my first single!!! It's overspun and lumpy in places but I love it. <3


After spinning up all of the undyed roving we got at class, I kind of went on a crazy "must have roving" couple of days. It was like withdrawl. But then Kim got this beautiful stuff in! It is roving from Cherry Tree Hill and the colorway is Watercolors. The colors are really surprising because, on the website, the Watercolors looked very washed out but in person, these are so strong.


I picked it up yesterday night but got so excited about it that I didn't even wait to take a picture of the bag of it. Instead, I headed over to the meeting of the spinners guild and got to work :) One of the other ladies had a ball winder so I was able to free up one of my bobbins.


The guild meeting was so much fun. I am definitely going to have to become a member! One of the women lives on my street and has a herd of sheep. She is an omnipotent goddess. She brought a bag full of uncarded (is there a special term for that? I need to get spinning books.) locks and her plethora of tools. Then we had a chance to practice carding and making the wool look like the processed roving. I really need to learn official terms. Anyway, here is a small bit of the wool that I am going to play with later.


It was just so much fun to listen to everyone's conversations about various things like chemical dyeing and natural dyeing or the different properties of fibers. I think I'm going to learn a lot!

One of the other women brought some yarn bags that a college student made. They have pockets on the inside for needles and other notions. I'm going to be giving one as a Christmas present and then have to decide what to do with the other.


All in all, I have a new obsession and need to start looking for a wheel of my own!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, so are you panicking about having to return your wheel to its rightful owner? I am! I'm having cold sweats! I'm sure Kim would sell me this one, but I'm not sure it's the one I want. I'd like to try out the Louet S-10 before I decide. Ack!