Monday, August 28, 2006

And classes begin again

Tomorrow will be my first day of class in a couple of months. Both of the classes (the online and in-person classes) have their syllabus online so I can see the assignments before the first night of class. The Foundations of Library Science program has four assignments which are worth 80% of the final grade (participation is 20%).

I started to look at the description of the assignments and really got excited about doing them. Showing my true nerdy colors, I have actaully begun the first assignment. I am 3/4 of the way done with the 500 word essay. It is along the lines of the NPR segment "This I believe" in which people state what they believe. The NPR essays cover the serious (love, war, etc) to the flipant (barbeque). The essay for class has to be posted to the online discussion board by September 12th. I think I will be able to handle it. My plan is to write about friendship.

The second assignment has two options: a) interview a librarian or b) visit a library. Sure, the assignment is more complicated than that but, hey, it is only 5-7 pages. Can you believe that? It will take me maybe an hour or two to do the entire assignment. I will, of course, interview someone because I love interviewing and oral history.

The thrid assignment consists of contributing to a class wiki! Could this get any easier?! My god.

The fourth assignment is a partner powerpoint presentation. This is the only one which might constitute a problem. True, I hate doing group projects but that is not the problem. The presenations will be given from November 12 - December 12. I will be in the country for only two of those 4 class meetings; the first and the last. Hmm, have to make sure my partner and I present on the right day.

The online class is going to be a little bit more labor intensive because we have to do so many responses to questions and do follow-up posts to our fellow classmates' responses. The responses, however, only have to be 150 words. That will be a whole lot of BS. I am not looking forward to writing the paper, though.

And to the knitting . . . :)

I started (and finished one half) of a pair of knee-high socks. I really love the yarn but I can't get it to pattern up right. It is made from the toe up. The yarn does pattern up at the gusset area where there are more stitches and at the top of the leg where there are more stitches. I started the second half of the pair on #2 needles to see if the increase in size helped. (It did not.) I guess I will just keep playing and frog the one sock if it needs it.

In the meantime, I've started another pair of socks (big surprise). This time the yarn is patterning up quite nicely. It is a bright blue, dark blue, white and black striped yarn this time. I've finished one sock and am well on the way with the other.

Still haven't blocked the light sweater I finished 2 or 3 weeks ago. This is my problem. I never quite finish a project. I will get it mostly done but not entirely. Oh, well. That will give me something to do while I avoid doing the readings for class.

I've been trying to upload pictures of the socks in various stages of completion but something seems to be wrong with blogger. Guess I will try later.

No comments: