Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Quick FO

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys!  I'm feeling a bit more human but still really tired.  I haven't felt brave enough to pick up the button band on the Tangled Yoke Cardigan yet because my counting ability is still shaky.  But I decided to finally work on some projects that have been hanging around for a while now.  I actually finished one! (some of the pictures are going to be rotated but right now i can't figure out how to switch them around.  sorry!)

p_00106

This is a Knitting Pure and Simple pattern called Neck Down Pullover Tunic - Women #9726. Thrilling name, huh :)  I had seen another person's finished sweater a couple of months ago and liked the comfy look of it.  I used O-Wool Balance, a cotton/wool blend, which adds to the comfy-ness. 

This sweater should not have taken me so long to finish! In the first week, I had everything but half of a sleeve finished. From there it took me 1 month to sit down and finish the sleeve. Then it took me another month to sit down and finish the collar.  Oh, well.  At least it is finished in enough time to wear it during the appropriate weather.  In fact, I'm going to wear the sweater today even though it is supposed to be in the 60s today. 

Details: O-Wool Balance, 8.25 skeins
US 6 and US 4 needles
Started January 17, 2010- finished March 9, 2010 (this should NOT have taken me this long to do!)
I knit the sweater with a couple of inches of positive ease for the comfy-ness factor.  

Modifications:
I did change a couple of things with the pattern.  The bottom of the tunic has garter stitch at the edge.  The sleeves and the neck, however, are 2x2 ribbing.  So I decided to lengthen the sleeves a little bit and to finish them with garter stitch instead of the ribbing.

p_00107

The other change that I made was the ribbing of the v-neck.  I feel like the only place the pattern had a fail was at its neck directions.  It was a pretty good pattern for beginners (or people who want a mental break) but the neck was really funny.  It had you pick up the stitches at the collar, knit the ribbing for 3/4 inch flat (not in the round) then lay the two ends of the ribbing over each other and sew it down.  Wha?  Instead, I picked up the stitches and knit a couple of rounds of garter stitch, doing a centered double decrease.  I think it looks much better than what the directions were having you do.

p_00108

2 comments:

MavenKnits said...

I think it should be illegal to use names that have numbers in the for works of fiber art. boo.

I agree with your choice for the garter stitch collar... overlapping knitting in the collar generally has a bit of a sloppy look to it. Not to mention that the rib would have inevitably stretched larger than the surrounding panels and... would have drove you to ripping it out.

Glad you are feeling a little better... don't get too human.

Janelle said...

I'm a fan of the centered double decrease, too. Good mod!

You churn out sweaters at an impressive pace!