Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Another FO

I keep calling this sweater my Featherlight Cardigan even though the designer named it Featherweight.  I think it is because there is a horse trailer company called Featherlight.  Anyway, let me sing the praises of this sweater and the yarn (mmmmalabrigo). 

Malabrigo

I started the sweater last May (really, Ravelry?  you aren't just making that date up?) but then put it down for a couple of months.  I don't have a good reason for not finishing it much sooner.  I love the yarn and the pattern is really easy to follow.  I just got distracted by other things.  Oh, well.  I picked it up again right before Thanksgiving (an easy project to work on in the bar) and finished the body.  Unfortunately, I put it down again and didn't pick it up for another month.  I finished the second half of the second sleeve and then put it down again.  Finally, last week, I sat down, made myself pick up stitches for the collar and worked on it.  Isn't it amazing how things get finished if you actually work on them?   

IMG_4842

Yarn: 3 skeins of Malabrigo lace, Emerald
Pattern: Featherweight Cardigan by Hannah Fettig
Dates: May 2009 to March 14, 2010
Modifications:  First, I decided that I didn't want a cropped cardigan.  It's not really my style and my waist would probably be cold.  The pattern originally called for 9 inches but I knit for 13 inches, instead.  My next change was to make a 2 inch seed stitch bottom edge rather than a 1x1 rib for 2 inches and my collar is in seed stitch, too.  I had seen someone on ravelry did the collar and lower edge in seed stitch and I really liked the way it looked.

IMG_4845
The pictures on blogger are driving me nuts.  Click on the picture to see my flickr page and see the actual color of the sweater. 

This yarn feels fantastic.  I can understand why so many people adore it because it is just so soft.  But I have a feeling that the yarn will pill and probably felt like crazy.  That is, however, a small price to pay for how soft, light and warm this cardigan is.  It really is as light as a sweater.  I'll just have to treat the sweater kindly.

1 comment:

MavenKnits said...

Wow! The shoulder increases/decreases? are amazing. perfectly beautiful line. Love seed stitch. Not a fan of garter for collars myself. so... nice choice!