Saturday, May 10, 2008

Some more spinning and lace

First off, awwwwwwww, isn't she cute?


Yesterday, I washed and set all of these skeins of yarn that I spun up. The brown yarn is from a gift of roving I received in November (or was it October?). It was a trash bag full of roving and I made approximately 858 yards of worsted weight yarn from it.


I'm trying to finish all of the spinning I started on my borrowed wheel. There was a bit of a time crunch because I'm returning it this week. I'm happy to say that everything is finally off of the bobbins, set, and stored in archival photo boxes on one of my shelves. I would have it hanging all over the place but the amount of yarn might scare my cousins and aunt who are coming to visit this week.

Next, instead of cleaning my room for the impending guests, I blocked a shawl. This is the Swallowtail Shawl from Interweave Knits. I made it out of fingering weight rather than laceweight so this shawl is HUGE.



I ended up having major problems with this simple pattern because I kept running out of yarn. On the last chart, I eliminated the first half of it so there would be enough yarn to make the ends into tips. Then, on the bind off, I ran out of yarn again so I ripped back a few rows and tried again. It was a fast knit but all of the issues I created made it take much longer to finish.

And finally, here is the fingering weight yarn I bought at Maryland Sheep and Wool. Isn't it pretty? Those colors are pretty true to life.


Yesterday, while closing the yarn store, I cast on and, by the end of the evening, had this much.


I can definitely understand why so many people have made this pattern. It is a completely thought-free knit which will look great when finished.

No comments: