Friday, May 09, 2008

MSW, part 2

Be warned, this is a very picture-heavy post.

First thing that really struck me about Maryland Sheep and Wool was the sheer number of people everywhere! Saturday was crazy with all of the lines.


The next thing that strikes you are the animals. I loved looking at all of the different sheep breeds, the sheepdogs, llamas, alpacas, and rabbits. If you are every going to go, don't miss the parade of sheep breeds!





I didn't take any pictures of the various booths because there were just so many! How do you choose what to look at first? So I'll leave you to take a look around the blogsphere to see others' pictures which are a whole lot better than I could have taken.

I really enjoyed watching the Sheep to Shawl contest. No, I was not there to watch the sheep get shorn (that is 8 in the morning, people!) but I did watch the spinning, weaving and finishing of most of the groups.




This brightly colored shawl was the overall winner.


And then there were the purchases. I definitely was going through a green and blue period, wasn't I?


I ended up with a lot of fun stuff, mainly fiber with some yarn thrown in there, too. I bought a bag of completely non-natural, human-made fiber because it was sparkly :) Two different kinds of tencel/merino blends one of which was a purple-blue and the other which was called peacock and was a bluish-green. I couldn't wait and started spinning up the peacock tencel on Sunday night on the new wheel. I also got a silk hankie which was dyed in greens and blues.

I've never worked with Socks that Rock so I bought a skein of the medium weight sock yarn (of course in green). Then I couldn't wait to start knitting on it so I bought some DPNs and got some help winding the skein into a ball. Then I fell down and bought 3 skeins of sock yarn from Tess Designer Yarns (I think that is the name, it isn't in front of me). It is a really pretty mix of light and dark blues and grey. I also fell down and bought a cone of some silk to work up into another lace project.

Luckily, by the time we waited in line for the festival gear, it was way down. I picked up a canvas tote with brown edging and I really like it. The tote, I decided, was a better route than a T-shirt. I'll probably get more use out of the tote.

Of course, I didn't need another drop spindle but I found a really nicely carved one so that jumped in my bag. Speaking of spinning tools, I bought a wheel!


It is a Majacraft Little Gem and is so cute! I tried a lot of different wheels while at the festival and it was a tough decision between a couple. This one folds up very small and is really easy to transport. I'm smitten!

I'll leave you with the picture of my STR socks. I'll pick them back up after I've played with the wheel for a bit :)

No comments: